The number of Africans in the premier league has increased considerably recently. A lot of African players represent the continent weekly in the English premier league. Many have become mainstays in their various clubs and have significant numbers and feats to show for their efforts in these clubs. Howbeit, only a handful play for the top 6 clubs in the PL.
This week’s fixtures have been rounded up with a lot of outstanding games coming up due to the FA cup competition. However, some Africans represented the continent in the PL this weekend and some shone for their clubs as starters and substitutes. Below is the round-up of the Africans that participated in the premier league this weekend.
- Oumar Niasse the Senegalese was the African star of the weekend as he came off the bench to replace a fellow African and countryman Alfred N’Diaye in the 63rd minute. Niasse ensured maximum points for Hull as he scored a brace to gather all 3 points for the side against Swansea.
- Andre Ayew was also on point for his side. The Ghanaian came off the bench in the 58th minute for Feghouli and scored for West Ham in the game against Bournemouth, Sadly, his efforts were not enough as Josh King stole the show and garnered 3 points for his side leaving West Ham in the losing position
- Feghouli was a starter. He provided an assist to Michail Antonio to open the scoring against West Ham. He still ended up on the losing side. The Algerian’s efforts couldn’t secure a point or 3 for his side.
- Mane! The Senagalese started the game and put up a decent shift as Liverpool beat Burnley at Anfield. Could have had an assist but ended up overplaying a cross to Wijnaldum who missed the ball
- Joel Matip started in defense for Liverpool as they beat Burnley. The Cameroonian supported in defense
- The Senegalese born Kouyate started for West Ham in defense
- The Cameroonian Allan Nyom started for West Brom as they were mauled by an impressive Everton
- El Mohamady came off the bench in the 78th minute for Lazar Markovic. The Egyptian helped Hull to see out a victory against Paul Clement’s Swansea
- Alfred N’Diaye started for Hull against Swansea. The Senegalese was replaced by fellow country man Oumar Niasse
- Jordan Ayew came off the bench in the 45th minute for Fernando Llorente against Hull. The Ghanaian’s efforts weren’t enough to steal a point
- Solid Idrissa Gueye, another Senegalese came off the bench to replace Mirallas for Everton as they completed a resounding victory over West Brom
Senegal had the most representation of Africans this weekend. And I daresay in the premier league, amongst other African countries.