Former Man United star Park Ji-sung and Tottenham Hotspur attacker Son Heung-min have each donated £65,000 to victims of coronavirus in South Korea. There are over 7,300 cases of COVID-19 in South Korea and more than 50 deaths have been recorded to date, making the country one of the most affected outside China where the virus is believed to have originated.
The sizeable donations were made to a non-profit organization known as Good Neighbours International and currently on the frontlines of the crisis in Asia. Park who spoke after making the donation said:
“Although I’m staying in the UK, I’d like to help children who are suffering from the current situation in South Korea due to the severe coronavirus outbreak.”
Meanwhile, Son, who returned home to Seoul last month for surgery on a fractured arm may not play for Spurs till the end of the season. On his return, the 27-year-old went into self-isolation at his home in London as a precautionary measure to contain any possible spread of the virus.
“I wish that this could help that the virus won’t spread further, and especially to help to the people in a vulnerable situation to get help and protection,” said Son.
The coronavirus crisis has disrupted Europe’s football calender with the competition of the 2019/20 campaign set to be suspended in many countries. Serie A has been suspended till early April while La Liga, Bundesliga, and Ligue 1 games will be held behind closed doors. UEFA have also confirmed that some of the last-16 UEFA Champions League games will be played behind closed doors.
Meanwhile, supporters won’t be present when PSG face Borussia Dortmund at the Parc des Princes on Wednesday while games between Bayern and Chelsea as well as Barcelona and Napoli will be played behind closed doors.