It has been announced by Major League Soccer and Minnesota United that the 2022 MLS All-Star Game will be hosted by the twin cities on August 10 at Allianz Field.
The event will return for its 26th edition and will be broadcast by ESPN and Univision in the United States, as well as TVA Sports and TSN in Canada.
The 2022 MLS All-Star Game will be the climax of a series of events in Minneapolis and Saint Paul, including concerts, parties, the MLS All-Star Skills Challenge amongst others.
“We are proud to bring the 2022 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target to Minnesota,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.
“Since the club began play in the league in 2017, Minnesota United and their incredible fan base have played a key role in the continued rise of MLS and growth of our sport throughout the U.S. As the eyes of the soccer world turn to Allianz Field next August 10, the people of Minnesota will be fantastic hosts and the supporters and ‘Wonderwall’ will create a memorable atmosphere for our marquee summer event.”
The game will take place at the iconic state-of-the-art Allianz Field in Saint Paul. It can be recalled that the 19.600-seater soccer-specific stadium was opened in 2019. The stadium comprises a natural grass pitch which was designed with the interest of fans at heart.
The stadium is popular for its uniqueness and this has resulted in the venue being highly sought after for international events. The venue hosted two Concacaf Gold Cup group stage games in 2019 and an international friendly for the United States Women’s National Team in the same year.
It has been noted that the Allianz Field will also host an upcoming friendly between the U.S. Women’s National team and South Korea.
“We are all extremely excited and honored to see the premier event for soccer in North America coming to the Twin Cities and our state,” said Bill McGuire, the managing partner for Minnesota United FC.
“Led by Target and supported by other great Minnesota businesses and our unparalleled fans, this will be an extraordinary event built around a week of wonderful activities for everyone. Soccer is indeed the world’s game, and we look forward to sharing with everyone all that it represents and what makes Allianz Field and the Twin Cities such a great place to experience all that it offers.”
Meanwhile, the opponent for the 2022 Major League Soccer All-Star Game would be announced at a late date. It would be the first to be held in the twin cities and the 8th to be hosted in Minnesota. Previous games are: (MLB: 1965, 1985, 2014; NBA: 1994; NHL: 1972, 2004; WNBA: 2018).
The MLS All-Stars team will be led by English-born Minnesota United Head Coach Adrian Heath. He has been a coach in the United States for more than a decade and has been with the Loons since they became an MLS team in 2017.
HISTORY OF MLS ALL-STAR GAMES
- 1996: East 3, West 2 (E. Rutherford, N.J.)
- 1997: East 5, West 4 (E. Rutherford, N.J.)
- 1998: MLS USA 6, MLS World 1 (Orlando)
- 1999: West 6, East 4 (San Diego)
- 2000: East 9, West 4 (Columbus)
- 2001: East 6, West 6 (San Jose)
- 2002: MLS 3, U.S. National Team 2 (Washington, D.C.)
- 2003: MLS 3, CD Guadalajara 1 (Carson, Calif.)
- 2004: East 3, West 2 (Washington, D.C.)
- 2005: MLS 4, Fulham FC 1 (Columbus)
- 2006: MLS 1, Chelsea FC 0 (Bridgeview, Ill.)
- 2007: MLS 2, Celtic FC 0 (Commerce City, Colo.)
- 2008: MLS 3, West Ham United FC 2 (Toronto)
- 2009: MLS 1, Everton FC 1 (Everton 4-3 pen) (Sandy, Utah)
- 2010: Manchester United FC 5, MLS 2 (Houston)
- 2011: Manchester United FC 4, MLS 0 (Harrison, N.J.)
- 2012: MLS 3, Chelsea FC 2 (Chester, Pa.)
- 2013: AS Roma 3, MLS 1 (Kansas City)
- 2014: MLS 2, Bayern Munich 1 (Portland)
- 2015: MLS 2, Tottenham Hotspur 1 (Commerce City, Colo.)
- 2016: Arsenal 2, MLS 1 (San Jose)
- 2017: Real Madrid 1, MLS 1 (Real Madrid 4-2 pen) (Chicago)
- 2018: Juventus 1, MLS 1 (Juventus 5-4 pen) (Atlanta)
- 2019: Atlético Madrid 3, MLS 0 (Orlando)
- 2021: MLS All-Stars 1, LIGA MX All-Stars 1 (MLS All-Stars 3-2 pen) (Los Angeles)