Two West African footballing giants will square off tonight in London’s Hive Stadium in a friendly game. The Super Eagles of Nigeria will be coming up against the Teranga Lions of Senegal. A game Mane insists they will win as the Super Eagles are no more the best and would be beaten by Senegal
Both sides have met 16 times before today’s encounter in all competitions. Senegal ran out winners in the first 3 encounters between the two sides and also has the first win between both sides in the AFCON, the 1977 AFCON tournament where they won 3:1. They first met in the French Colonial tournament in 1963 where Senegal ran out 5:1 winners. Since then;
- Nigeria has won 7 games
- 5 draws between the sides
- Only 1 win for Senegal in the last 13 games and it came in the AFCON 2002 tournament
Nigeria clearly has the upper hand in terms of history, but by current personnel, it’s up for debate as Senegal parades a host of quality players, much of which play regularly for their clubs especially in the PL. In recent times, the games between both sides have been hotly contested and rarely void of controversies
The Senegalese have revenge on their minds as this game could mean more than a friendly. However, they would like to forget the name, Julius Aghahowa in a hurry. One of the Nigerians who tormented the Senegalese defence in every of the encounters which he played. Both sides last met in the 2006 AFCON tournament with Nigeria running away winners with a 1 nil victory
In all competitions;
- Senegal has the biggest win. 5:1
- Senegal has only 2 wins over Nigeria in the AFCON
- Nigeria has 7 wins over Senegal in the AFCON
- The biggest win for Nigeria is 3:0, in the AFCON 1997 competition
- Only 2 goalless games between the two sides
- 37 goals scored between both in all competitions
- Senegal has 19 goals, Nigeria has 18.
- In last 5 games in all competitions, 3 wins to Nigeria, 1 win to Senegal and 1 draw
- Current form for both sides, Nigeria has won 5 in 5 games, Senegal has won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1 in their last 5 games.
A rivalry with narrow wins. Today’s game might be different or not. An exciting game on the cards, we hope. The Senegalese attack would be one to watch out for in this game. We’ll see how the Super Eagles cope with them.