The 2016/2017 NPFL season has since commenced, and a run of exciting games has been seen so far. They are just 14 game into the season and the top 7 are already at logger heads with each other as no significant gap has been opened between the top 3.
The pattern can be seen further down the table as every team still has a say on where they would want to finish as the season ends. Early days yet, but some clubs are already making cases for themselves as they sit on the lucrative spots of the table.
We have done some checks and arrived at these stunning numbers so far in the NPFL
- No comfortable sitters atop the table as they are being hotly pursued by their rivals
- MFM FC sit top with 27 points, followed by Plateau United with 25 points and EL Kanemi Warriors with 24 points. All currently eligible for places in the Africa Club tournaments
- MFM FC have scored the most goals this season – 20, and have conceded 13
- MFM FC and El Kanemi Warriors have the highest number of wins so far and are tied at 8 each
- Rivers United have conceded the least goals (8) so far but sit in relegation places – 18th
- Plateau United have the most impressive goal difference, +9 as they have scored 19 and conceded 10
- The highest number of losses so far is 7. With Ifeanyi Ubah, Remo Stars and Gombe United being the triply threatened sides
- Newly promoted Remo Stars sit bottom of the league table with 12 points in 20th position. They are tied with defending champions, Enugu Rangers who sit 19th and have 12 points
- The most impressive newly promoted side is ABS FC / Bukola Saraki FC, who sit 5th on the log at the moment with 21 points having garnered 6 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses
- Least number of wins is 3, with Rivers United, Enugu Rangers, Remo Stars and shooting Stars being the victims of the very poor record
- Shooting Stars are the draw masters with 7 or I daresay Ogbono masters
- MFM FC, El Kanemi and Kano Pillars have a 100% record at home. 7 wins in 7 home games
- Lobi Stars have conceded the least goals at home – 1. The home fixtures Rock Of Gibraltar
- Only 4 teams have lost home games this season. Enugu Rangers, Sunshine Stars and Abia Warriors tied at 1 loss each, with Remo Stars having 2 losses
- Only 5 teams have won away from home – El Kanemi away to Abia Warriors in a 1:0 win, Abia Warriors away to Enugu Rangers in 2:1 win, MFM FC away to Sunshine Stars in a 1:0 win, Niger Tornadoes in a 1:0 win away to Remo Stars and Plateau United in a 2:1 win away to Remo Stars.
- Abia Warriors have scored the most goals away from home – 7
- Ifeanyi Ubah and Sunshine Stars have conceded the most goals away from home – 14 each. Apparently, they travel to be thrashed.
- Gombe United and FC Ifeanyi Ubah have the most losses away from home – 7 losses in 7 games
- The away form table is trailed by a –GD for all the teams in their away fixtures so far
- Nasarawa United and Wikki Tourists have scored the least goals away from home. 1 each. Tourists, they are!
- MFM FC have scored the most goals at home – 15.
This is how far we can go at this stage of the season. 14 games into the season already, characterized by unique numbers in the NPFL. Your guess is as good as mine that the league is far from over. Enugu Rangers might be conspiring to do a Chelsea or Leicester City this season. We’ll see how far the current top 3 and bottom 4 can go as the season progresses.