Four clubs have booked their spots in the UCL quarter finals courtesy of resounding displays and one performance which will reverberate for years to come in the UCL’s history books.
Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid ensured the prospects of exciting quarter final fixtures while PSG, Arsenal, Benfica and Napoli were made to rue heavy defeats.
However, Arsenal and Napoli were the villains of the week as they suffered defeats at home
- Real Madrid and Napoli countered each other with a 4-3-3 formation on paper
- Arsenal and Bayern Munich lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation on paper against each other
- Barcelona reacted with a 3-4-3 formation against PSG after the rout in Paris as PSG fell prey with a 4-2-3-1 formation.
- Dortmund reacted with a 5-3-2 formation on paper while Benfica responded with a 4-4-2 formation
- 3-4-3 by Barcelona produced the highest number of goals scored by a team so far in the round - 6.
- 5-3-2 by Dortmund ensured a clean sheet. The only clean sheet in this set of games.
- The most used formation was 4-2-3-1 by Arsenal, Bayern and PSG.
- Possession lords were Barcelona with 72%.
- Pass masters were Napoli with 545 completed passes.
- PSG were the pass slaves with 179 completed passes.
- 21 goals were scored.
- PSG played dirty, committing the most fouls – 25.
- Madrid committed the fewest fouls – 8.
- 38 yellow cards were brandished. With PSG garnering the most (5) and Real Madrid garnering the least (0). Good old clean Real Madrid!
- Arsenal recorded the only red card this week, with Laurent Koscielny the offender.
We look up to next week and hope for more scintillating displays. Hopefully, teams will concentrate more on the defensive side of the game.