El Salvador Soccer Team: What you should know
The El Salvador soccer team represent El Salvador in international football and are under the governing of the Salvadoran Football Federation, also known as FESFUT.
- Nicknames: La Selecta, La Playera, Los Pescadores, Los Guerreros, Los Cangrejitos.
- Head Coach: Hugo Perez
- Biggest Win: Defeated Anguilla 12:0 in February 2008
- Biggest Defeat: Lost 10:1 to Hungary in June 1982
- Current Captain: Alex Roldan
It should be known that the El Salvador soccer team played their first soccer match as a national team in September 1921.
This was the case as they received an invitation to play in a tournament to celebrate 100 years of independence of Central America.
Since they ventured into the round leather game of soccer, they’ve played twice in the FIFA World Cup, namely in 1970 and 1982.
However, their performance at these two tournaments is one they won’t mind forgetting as they couldn’t make it past the first stage of the tournament.
This is one record they would be looking to correct but it won’t be happening any time soon considering that they are presently 6th in the third stage of the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying log for Qatar 2022 and are 8 points off Panama who are in 4th as at the time of writing.
EL Salvador Soccer Team Competition Records
They came out tops in the CCCF in 1943 and finished second in 1941 and 1961. it has since been replaced by CONCACAF. El Salvador have competed in the CONCACAF regional tournament 14 times and finished as runners-up in 1963 and 1981.
They also take part in the UNCAF Nations Cup, the Olympics, the Pan American Games and have won two gold medals in the Central American and Caribbean Games.
They are also referd to as La Selecta and play in their home games at Estadio Cuscatlán, which is also known as “El Coloso de Montserrat” and “La Catedral del Espectáculo”.
El Salvador Soccer Jersey
The El Salvador soccer jersey comes with a traditional first kit color that is blue with white trim while their second kit is white with blue trim. The current home and away kit they use for soccer games consist of the traditional colors except for the bold curved trims that run from the center of the neck to the sides, forming two panels on the chest region that feature the Umbro logo and the emblem of the Salvadoran Football Federation.
READ: What are caps in soccer?
Some facts you should know about the El Salvador soccer team
- The El Salvador soccer team were the first Central American team to defeat Mexico in Mexico City. They beat the Mexicans 3:2 at the 1954 Central American and Caribbean Games.
- They became the first team from Central America to score a goal in the FIFA World Cup on June 15, 1982.
- They were the first Central American soccer team to qualify for the Olympics in Mexico in 1968.
- The El Salvador soccer team established themselves as the first Central American team to qualify for the FIFA World Cup when they did so in 1970. They also became the first team in Central America to qualify twice for the tournament when they made it to the 1982 World Cup.
- The El Salvador soccer team were the first team in Central America to register for a World Cup qualifier, namely France 1938.
- They organized the first-ever Central American and Caribbean Games in 1935, as well as the first-ever CONCACAF Championship in 1963.
- They became the first champions of the Central American and Caribbean Games in Mexico in 1954.
El Salvador Soccer Players: Current Squad
I will be listing the players that have been representing El Salvador in recent games. Find the current El Salvador soccer players and squad below:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Kevin Carabantes, Mario González.
DEFENDERS (7): Roberto Domínguez, Alexander Larin, Ronaldo Rodriguez, Bryan Tamacas, Eduardo Vigil, Romulo Villalobos, Eriq Zavaleta.
MIDFIELDERS (9): Eric Calvillo, Darwin Cerén, Enrico Hernández, Bryan Landaverde, Christian Martinez Mena, Marvin Monterroza, Narciso Orellana, Kevin Reyes, Alex Roldan.
FORWARDS (5): Nelson Bonilla, Cristian Gil, Jairo Henríquez, Walmer Martinez), Joaquín Rivas.
- The most capped player for El Salvador: Alfredo Pacheco with 85 appearances. He might lose the record to Darwin Cerén who is still active and has played 84 games.
- The highest goal scorer for El Salvador: Raúl Díaz Arce with 39 goals in 72 games.
The game of soccer is one that undoubtedly leaves you behind if you fail to evolve with it. Considering the records and facts in this article, El Salvador are one of the prestigious soccer nations in Central America and one of the best in the early days of soccer in Central America.
However, La Selecta have failed to cut it in elite soccer in recent decades. More so, you would hardly find any La Selecta players in any of the elite clubs in Europe. One can’t help but wonder where it all went wrong for one one the best soccer nations in Central America at the time.